• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Singapore's swimmer Quah Zheng Wen is most valuable male athlete of SEA Games 2019

LaksaNews

Myth
MANILA: Singaporean swimmer Quah Zheng Wen was given the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award for male athletes on Wednesday (Dec 11), having won the highest number of medals at SEA Games 2019, with six gold and two silver in his haul.

"It's definitely an honour just to have our flag up there representing Team Singapore," Quah told CNA after receiving news of the award. "It's a reflection (of my performance)."
AdvertisementAdvertisementBut more than winning medals, the 23-year-old was happy to have also qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in the 100m butterfly and 100m backstroke events.
"I came with the goal of trying to qualify for the Olympics. Honestly speaking, getting gold ... was not what I was looking for at these Games.
"It was a bonus. It's kind of a testament to how hard I'd been training. I'm glad for that. I'm just happy I accomplished what I set out to do."

Vietnamese swimmer Nguyen Thi Anh Vien won the MVP award for female athletes.
AdvertisementAdvertisement
gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAAAAACH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAABAAEAAAICTAEAOw==
Quah Zheng Wen (right) and Nguyen Thi Anh Vien (left) are most valuable male and female athletes respectively at SEA Games 2019. (Photo: SNOC)
[h=3]READ: SEA Games thrills and spills: 7 stories that surprised Singapore[/h][embedded content]
Quah's performance at the Games have earned the praise of teammate Joseph Schooling earlier.
“For him to come up and step up for three events tonight and do best times - back to back in the space of one hour and ten, that’s pretty darn impressive,” said Schooling last Friday, after Quah stretched him to the finish line in the 100m butterfly final.
Clocking a personal best of 51.87, Quah qualified for the Olympics and came in 0.03s behind Schooling.
“Kudos to him, he’s been having the best meet of all of us so far and we’re just trying to follow his example,” Schooling added.
[embedded content]
Quah and his swimming compatriots, including his sisters Jing Wen and Ting Wen, were among the top performers in the Games with 23 gold medals – equalling their best performance in 2015.
With 15 Games records, nine national records and 26 personal best timings, they also surpassed their away record of 19 golds in 2017, the Singapore National Olympic Council said in press release on Wednesday.
[embedded content]
Singapore sent its largest away contingent in history to this year's Games in the Philippines. They won 53 gold, crossing the 900th gold medal mark as the 2019 campaign came to a close.
With 46 silver and 68 bronze, Singapore won a total of 167 medals - 51 of which coming from Games debutants - said the Council.
[embedded content]
Quah said he was looking forward to the closing ceremony on Wednesday evening, where he would receive his award.
Additional reporting by Matthew Mohan.

Follow Mediacorp’s coverage of the 30th SEA Games and get the widest Team Singapore coverage with four LIVE channels on Toggle. Go to toggle.sg/seagames2019 for details.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

More...

Back