• If Laksaboy Forums apperar down for you, you can google for "Laksaboy" as it will always be updated with the current URL.

Due to MDA website filtering, please update your bookmark to https://laksaboy.pro

1. For any advertising enqueries or technical difficulties (e.g. registration or account issues), please send us a Private Message or contact us via our Contact Form and we will reply to you promptly.

Green economy, new capital Nusantara among areas discussed with Indonesia, says PM Lee after leaders' retreat

LaksaNews

Myth
BOGOR, Indonesia: Singapore and Indonesia have discussed potential opportunities in the green economy and Indonesia’s future capital Nusantara, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Monday (Apr 29) after attending an annual leaders’ retreat hosted by President Joko Widodo.

The meeting – traditionally held every year to foster bilateral relations and discuss potential areas of cooperation – was the seventh and final one for both leaders who will be leaving office this year.

Describing it as a “valedictory meeting”, Mr Lee said the retreat served as a look-back on the progress in bilateral cooperation over the past decade, such as the resolution of longstanding issues on airspace, defence and extradition under what is known as the Expanded Framework.

It was also a look ahead to the next phase of relations under their successors, he said, speaking to Singapore reporters in the Indonesian city of Bogor in West Java.

Mr Lee will hand over the premiership to his deputy Lawrence Wong on May 15.

Mr Jokowi, as the two-term Indonesian president is commonly known, will pass the leadership reins to Defence Minister Prabowo Subianto in October. Mr Prabowo won a landslide victory in the presidential election on Feb 14.

The incoming leaders had joined their predecessors for a meeting at the state palace earlier in the day,

20240429_mci_photo_04.jpg

From left to right: Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Indonesian President Joko Widodo and President-elect Prabowo Subianto hold a meeting at Bogor Presidential Palace in Bogor, Apr 29, 2024. (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Information)

Mr Lee said he discussed possibilities in the green economy during his meeting with Mr Jokowi.

These include the area of sustainability, the export of electricity to Singapore from Indonesia, cooperation between Indonesian state-owned electricity company PLN and Singapore entities “including possibly” SP Group, as well as the building of sub-sea transmission cables to support the trading of green energy.

The leaders also discussed the potential of the new Nusantara administrative capital in East Kalimantan, one of Mr Jokowi's biggest legacy projects.

There has been interest from Singapore companies such as Sembcorp, which recently announced plans to build and develop a utility-scale integrated solar and energy storage project in Indonesia, said Mr Lee.

The integrated project will comprise a battery energy storage system with 50 megawatts of solar and 14 megawatt-hour of battery energy storage in Nusantara, the company has said.

“This is a project which is very close to President Jokowi’s heart, so I'm glad that we have been able to participate in it,” Mr Lee told reporters.

Related:​

Mr Lee described Singapore’s relationship with Indonesia, its biggest neighbour, as “a very important” one.

“I hope from Indonesia's point of view, they find it a valuable relationship to them too.”

He noted that both countries have been able “to do a lot together and to keep the relationship in good shape” over the last 20 years while he was in office.

“(This means) that we can have resolved problems; we’ve moved forward on cooperation; we have specific projects which are yielding results,” said the Prime Minister.

“Where there have been issues which have had to be dealt with, we've been able to deal with them appropriately and in a manner which keeps the overall relationship stable and resolves the specific problems.”

Good relations between Singapore and Indonesia also “make a difference” for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), by enabling the 10-member bloc to play its role as a hub for broader regional cooperation and strengthening “ASEAN centrality”.

“I very much hope and I'm confident that this will continue with the next Singapore (Prime Minister) and the next Indonesian President,” he said.

Related:​

FEELING “VERY GOOD” ON HIS LAST TRIP​

The day trip to Bogor marks Mr Lee’s final official trip as Prime Minister since taking office 20 years ago.

Asked for his thoughts, he recalled how Indonesia was where he made one of his early official visits after becoming Prime Minister when he attended then-president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's swearing-in ceremony in 2004.

“I feel very good. I'm very glad this was my last visit,” said Mr Lee.

“I'm glad that I've been able to round up my so many overseas trips over the years with this one, which is memorable in its own special way.

“Because of the depth of the relations between our two countries, and the significance this friendship holds for the prosperity and the stability of Singapore and of the region,” he told reporters.

20240429_mci_photo_09.jpg

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong was accompanied on the trip by several ministers, including Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan. (Photo: Ministry of Communications and Information)

Looking back on these countless overseas trips, for bilateral visits or to attend global or regional forums, Mr Lee said: “Over 20 years, Singapore has held its own internationally.”

The country managed to promote cooperation and contribute to discussions in various global forums, as well as play a part in tackling climate change and the development of trade agreements such as the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership and Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership.

“Each one helping to make ourselves useful and therefore securing our place in the world and giving us a little slightly bigger spot in the sun,” he said. “Long may that continue.”

Mr Lee will remain in the Cabinet as Senior Minister after stepping down as leader of the government next month.

Responding to a question about whether official visits are still a possibility after the leadership handover, Mr Lee said it is likely but hopes it will be less frequent in future.

Nevertheless, he will do his best when necessary, he said in Mandarin.

Continue reading...

Back